Generation-Edge.info Forum
Generation-Edge.info Forum
Home | Profile | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Members Online
None

All Forums
 Main Discussion Forums
 General Discussion
 The joys of old trucks
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

jetmex

Houston
Texas
USA

161 Posts

Alert Moderator

Posted - 05/14/2014 :  11:14:54 AM  Show Profile  Visit jetmex's Homepage Send jetmex a Private Message  Reply with Quote
So I was under the truck this weekend to find out where the front end clinking noise that had cropped up was coming from. Found the bushings on the front sway bar links were gone and the bolt was just bouncing up and down in the holes. That was a pretty easy fix, all is now well there. She's also starting to creak a bit from out front, so it's probably getting close to ball joint time.

While I was looking into that, I discovered that my truck has two different upper control arms. The left is is a single piece unit, the right one has a bolt on section that attaches to the yoke that is then attached to the truck. I guess some factory worker ran out of one or the other that day and said "We'll make it fit!" Learn something new every day.

So now the question is - which one is correct for the truck?

Jetmex
Texas Desert Rat

2003 Ranger Edge, Sonic Blue, Supercab 4-door 2WD, 3.0 V6 flex fuel, 4spd auto, 4.10 rear diff. Airbox mod, Extang soft tonneau cover, James Duff traction bars, Westin safari bar with no name driving lights, factory nerf bars, "Line of Fire" tailgate lights, front tow hooks, Hillbank/Roush rear sway bar, Remove Before Flight streamer on the cigarette lighter.

DJaye
Moderator & Site Wank

Buffalo
NY
USA

4562 Posts

Alert Moderator

Posted - 05/14/2014 :  5:57:18 PM  Show Profile  Send DJaye an AOL message Send DJaye a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Sharing the platform with the Explorer, some rangers had a 2 piece control arm on the passengers side. Its for proper alignment setting of the front end. Camber/caster and such ;)

What does ' factory ' mean?

Wise words : "To me a day that goes by that you learn nothing is a day that was basically wasted. " -Zoom, Admin GE.
Go to Top of Page

jetmex

Houston
Texas
USA

161 Posts

Alert Moderator

Posted - 05/15/2014 :  10:23:38 AM  Show Profile  Visit jetmex's Homepage Send jetmex a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Like I said, I learn something new every day! It makes perfect sense, but it was a little weird seeing that. Ought to be even funnier when I go to order the parts and tell them I need one of each...

Jetmex
Texas Desert Rat

2003 Ranger Edge, Sonic Blue, Supercab 4-door 2WD, 3.0 V6 flex fuel, 4spd auto, 4.10 rear diff. Airbox mod, Extang soft tonneau cover, James Duff traction bars, Westin safari bar with no name driving lights, factory nerf bars, "Line of Fire" tailgate lights, front tow hooks, Hillbank/Roush rear sway bar, Remove Before Flight streamer on the cigarette lighter.

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Generation-Edge.info Forum © 2000-05 Snitz Communications Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.06 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05